View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #547
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It happens everywhere, some places repeatedly, but this guy apparently took awhile to figure out what happened. He felt a small jerk and heard a noise and probably looked at his engine gages instead of the mirrors.
Blackthorn railway bridge just outside Bicester on the Aylesbury side has been repeatedly struck by overheight vehicles despite all manner of warning signs starting several miles away and on the bridge itself.

I was once following a large vehicle carrying a detachable container used for transporting scrap metal.
As it approached the bridge the driver slowed to a snail's pace and all seemed well until the truck was all but entirely beneath the bridge. That's when the fun started.
On the top rear corner of the container was a triangular steel fillet welded to a piece of vertical pipe, which I understand is to facilitate stacking of containers.
As the truck inched forward the fillet came into contact with the outside lower edge of the bridge and gradually the whole ensemble was pressed down on the springs.
Unfortunately, as it moved forward the fillet and pipe structure instantly rose and it became stuck in the corrugated underside of the bridge deck.
I don't know how it was removed but, if pressed, I'd say that deflation of tyres probably featured quite prominently in the recovery plan!