View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
What is a "BNP haunt" and how does that make a pub un-respectable? I don't get it...

And what is a "Wetherspoons", is that a chain?
Ack, sorry. Thought I'd mentioned BNP on here enough most people are aware (and sick of hearing about ::P) them.

British National Party. The 'respectable' face of skin-head-type fascism. Their leadership have been trying to make them (and in some places succeeding)in making them) electable by, for example, sending out an instruction that members please refrain from doing muted heil hitler salutes to each other when they meet up. Doesn't play well with the grandad vote:P

The ones that stand for election usually at least look vaguely respectable. Except when they go to conference at which point there's usually at least one senior party guy gets fired/moved/sanctioned for getting into a punch up.

They also have a 'paramilitary' wing. Combat 18. (1 = A for adolf, 8 = H for hitler. Used to be Combat 88 for Heil Hitler). Many of the BNP rallies are to raise funds to assist the wives and families of activists who are serving time for racially motivated crimes, or beating up the rival partys' activists :P Pleasant bunch. I've had a few scary encounters with them.

Wetherspoons is a chain of pubs. They all have different names and signage...they may even have individual decor (though most are very similar inside). They all have the same menu of food.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote