Thread: Gran kids.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Maybe, but sometimes you can facilitate them fixing themselves. That said, it's tricky herding them to the right path, probably the best you can do is prod them into motion and block some of the wrong paths.
True. I have a son who is legitimately disabled but could do more than he does. I prod and encourage and hope, but I don't facilitate any negative paths. He will make of his life what he chooses. I hope for more, and better, for him, but it's his choice.

Many years ago, I took in my younger brother when he was in his 20s and down and out. He slept all day and did nothing, and I eventually helped him move back to his home town and get a new place. He hasn't been willing to connect with me again, but he did get his shit together a couple decades later and now has a wife and daughter. He chooses not to communicate with anyone in our family, though each of us took him in and helped him during his drug-using, non-working years. People make their own choices. We can't fix anyone, and we can't suppose that good intentions will be rewarded.