View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #9449
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fucking stupid bastard internet.

Still barely functioning. Six weeks, 5 engineers and now it's back with BT fault management to identify where the problem lies.

Yesterday they altered the signal to noise ratio...instead of helping it made it worse. No idea if this post will even go through. Most of my attempts at posting don't these days. Can't stream anything. Can't download anything. barely able to access the cellar or emails. Most attempts at sending an email fail.

yesterday, during the few minutes at a time when the connection is working, it was registering speeds of 0.33 mbps. Since they altered the signal to noise ratio that's dropped to 0.11 mbps.

Did a ping test last week and was getting 9 or 10 request timeouts per 5 minutes.

Six fucking weeks. Feeling very cut off from the world.

At one point, after a four day period of no internet at all (one of many) the engineer managed to get it 'working' and the first thing that happened after he left was my computer shutting down and on rebooting being locked out by a ransomware virus because my anti-virus/malware software can't update. It was such a bad one I couldn;t even boot up in Safe Mode with command prompt. Took the computer shop 2 full days to figure out a way in. Cost: £60
And because I can't really use the internet for my work here, I now have to travel into Uni and use the postgrad study room a couple of times a week. - that's a four hour round trip and costs between £5 and £7 depending on whether I go by bus or train. Instead of spending £5 a month travelling to my supervision meetings, I'm spending £40 a month to be able to work.

No point my changing supplier: I've been back and forth between Talktal;k and BT and haven;t noticed much of a difference in quality. Out in the sticks, with old wiring and a small overcrowded exchange: that would be the same regardless of hwo I went with. Not getting caught in a 12 month contract with a higher bill for no improvement.

Just....I dunno man I am just feeling so low right now.

[eta] bloody hell it posted!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote