View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Quote:
Originally posted by wst3
Well, I haven't used the Core Sound microphones, but if you take a look around, decent to very good microphones are flooding the marketplace!

Another thought... while I am no fan of any lossy compression scheme, it seems to me that you might get a huge improvement with a better preamp, depending on what you are using for microphones now.

I'm not using any preamp... just plugging the mic into the minidisc and going. Until I bought the Philips CR burner, the sound was fine that way - 'cause no one else owned a minidisc and I had to distribute on cassette. The recordings lost so much quality being transfered even to metal tape that I never bothered with any other equipment.

Now that I can transfer to CD however, I'm looking to upgrade. The problems are that a) I still want everything to be portable to gigs (in other words - it all has to fit in my violin case or music bag) and b) I'm down in Kansas working and there aren't very many places here to try-before-you-buy.

The Core Sound mics are the size of ear bud earphones. I've seen 'em at work and heard the results. For about $300 I can improve my recordings about 10 fold.

Quote:
I'm jealous... I have that personality type that won't let me do that. The afore-mentioned wedding is still tieing up a large quantity of disk space<G>!
Ha! Yeah, I just downloaded my first editing program (a demo version of Sound Forge - recommended by a friend at Discmakers). I don't understand half of what this program can do!

Quote:
OUCH!!!!! You get lots of points!!! Which theatre? (I grew up in West Chester, and have spent my whole life between Reading and Philly. My Dad worked in Morton for a spell, and he bought me my first "real" guitar at Swathmore Music.)
Players' Club

Quote:
I can't even imagine doing the kind of editing you described... the timing is frightening!
It was. We sat up there with scores and basically had to breathe with the singers. Most shows took 2 people to run sound. Sometimes we were cutting back and forth between 2 playback machines mid-song... so one could re-cue while the other finished the next verse. I really am glad those days are over. (Did I mention that this place was an amateur (read VOLUNTEER) theater company and NOBODY got paid????)

---R
Violine is offline   Reply With Quote