View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 10:59 AM   #18
Tobiasly
hot

Nic, you Just Don't Get It. And if you think raising kids means you know how they think and why they act the way they do, you are sorely misguided.

My parents couldn't begin to understand the issues that face our generation. And I think that's probably been true for much of human history.

I love my parents dearly, but I simply accept that their worldview is very different from my own. And so I act differently around them than I do around others, and I'm sure your kids do as well.

Don't try to pretend like you know what it's like to be a young person today. Dave is a rather good example of how most of the people I know in our generation think and act, at least when they're around their peers. And I'm sure I know a lot more of them than you do. Whether you agree with that behavior is another issue.

To us, making jokes about race, religion, sexual preference, or other formerly-taboo subjects is a way of saying "I recognize that these differences exist. I'm not going to pretend that all people are the same, because they're not." It's a way for us to cherish the diversity of the human race.

I'm sure that concept is about as foreign to you as just about anything you could think of. But that's the way our generation thinks, and you're not gonna change it by posting pictures of piles of dead, emaciated Jews.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote