View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's a pretty impressive site. I was looking at it in Google Earth. You've got a row of half a dozen volcanoes just about 10-15 miles to the west of Guatemala City. And a couple are clearly active. So close to a city of a few million.
I am currently reading Silence on the Mountain. Yesterday, I read a passage that describes what happened when a nearby volcano blew. The setting is a coffee plantation. They didn't get the lava flow, but they had falling ash so thick it was like night for three days.

When the sun reappeared, the plantation was so thickly covered with ash they had no choice but to leave and find work elsewhere. They traveled for a few days and found a new plantation.

Two/three generations later, they call themselves naturales, or naturals to the area. Not originally from there, but of there in their current history. The youngest generation has no knowledge of their family's original highland village.

It seems the people of Guatemala are very adaptable to whatever comes their way. It does not seem like they worry about the consequences of the volcanos erupting. Too many other things to worry about. Like today.