View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Hope you had the time of you life

A few years ago, I was watching the movie "When Harry Met Sally" with my wife. After the movie ended I literally burst into tears. Not because it was a soft and fuzzy movie, but because I hadn't seen the movie for many, many years before and watching reminded me of all the things that were going on during that time I last saw the movie. Good times. More notably though, it reminded me of things that weren't. A time before terrorism was a common household word, before the real threat of killer flus, carjackings, fuel prices beyound our wildest dreams, and almost anything else that utimately stole our innocents. It made me sad that for me, those days are over. Not that I lament for those days, I really enjoy where I am now, husband, dad, it just reminded me of really good days. This afternoon, a Cars song "It's Magic" threw me into the same mind set (sans the tears) so....

Looking back on our many years before us, what was a period that you would consider the 'time of your life?' When was it, what was going on, what were the circumstances? What would be a time that, if you were given a choice, you could go back and visit again. Now some of you might be inclinded to give the 'when I was married' or 'the birth of my kids' answer, and that's ok. Just realize that those times are a given.

For me, it was between 1988-1990. I had just moved to San Diego. I was single and I had a pack of ready-made friends thanks to a good friend of mine who had moved out there a year prior. I had somewhere cool to go every Friday, I was at the beach every weekend day, at the bars every weekend night. I was at the top of my game artistically, athletically, and personally.