View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #906
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

re gps, young driver, unfamiliar territory...

Eldest son was gifted a new to him truck a couple years ago, here in Washington. He was understandably excited, and was looking forward to driving back to school in New York. We met at a coffee shop on his way back east at about mile one. I bought breakfast, checked in with him about the state of the truck, etc. He was undertaking this cross country trip with ample, no, a superabundance of confidence and enthusiasm. This was good, except it didn't make much room for, you know... reality.

I followed him to the nearest gas station where I filled up his tank, bought a few quarts of oil and an atlas. He'd intended to take this trip with his iPhone as his only map. What if the battery dies? What if you sit on it and crack it? What if what if what if, etc. Here. Take this map. Do it for me, please. He did, bless his heart, and he made the trip ok (one call for towing and another call for a failed ignition switch/steering column repair). I don't remember getting a call about being lost though.