View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

But I'm convinced that it's both legal and ethical. I'm certain that the rules were followed. The labdlord opens themselves up to too much liability if they didn't follow the rules. They wouldn't do that.
You have no way to know that, though. In this specific instance, given the high value housing, it is likely (since they are being evicted this is only a likelihood) that they have the resources to seek legal redress had the landlord not followed the rules. In general terms, tenants who are being evicted are often the least resourced to defend their rights - if not generally then at least during whatever crisis may have precipitated eviction.

Personally, unless the owner of the goods has voluntarily and knowingly left them for others to pick through and take - I would want no part of it. I don't care if something I wanted but could not afford sprouted magically from the pavement in front of me - if it's potentially the worldly goods of some poor bastard who is probably having the worst week of his life and desperately trying to sort out storage and board at short notice, count me out.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote