Thread: Car question
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #109
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How big would the change in mpg have to be to be significant? I haven't noticed a change, so I figure the mileage hasn't changed by more than 5%, if it has changed at all. I think it has stayed the same.
The difference between crap Liberty gas and Shell gas would (for example) result in maybe an 8% difference without any noticeable change in idle smoothness. If your numbers are as reported, then Liberty gas should have caused a noticeable mileage difference. The fact that you saw no difference is troubling.

In another event, a tank of Mobil destroyed my fuel injectors. I knew something was wrong due to a slight roughness in idle. But the resulting mileage change was from 32 MPG to about 27 MPG in that tank. And 24 MPG in the next tank. (Honda replaced those injectors for free). In that case, diagnostics never reported a problem.

In another case, a problem with an EGR valve kept causing a check engine light. No mileage change. Symptoms that helped me trace the problem to a hard and not easily diagnosed problem. (BTW, EGR valve is not connected to the idle system; so did not affect idle. And that failure was unique so as to not affect gas mileage.)

Examples of different failures that do and do not result in mileage changes. And that isolated the problem quickly to a shorter list of suspects.

Assuming that 5% coincided with road conditions (heavy traffic, summer open road driving, etc), then is we can assume you have a problem traceable to the idle system and that does not affect the other 'normal operation' system.

BTW, remember Cloud's problem. That was also traceable to the idle system and that would not cause mileage changes. That mechanic had one clear advantage. The Civic's diagnostic system pointed exactly to the defect - which that mechanic refused to address. An example of why some people just refuse to learn good diagnostic procedure.

Now, with Shell, what is happening? What are the latest symptoms?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote