View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Thank you all for your well-considered input so far. Yes, we checked it out and I can buy the Taser or other device here and ship it to the Philippines without penalty, provided it goes by Global Express Mail so that it will stay out of the hands of the Filipino post office (which considers the mail from citizens as their personal shopping cart). She bought some Mace before and carries it in her hand everywhere, even while walking around their family compound, but she has never used it so far and we don't know if that was the best option against somebody who grabs you from behind. Hence the Taser or stun gun, which she might reach backwards and aim at the crotch of anybody trying to wrestle her into a car. We found some that look like cellphones on the net, but she tells me that gangs run up to you in the malls and tear a cellphone out of your hands so that's not the best idea. Nobody really cares if she terminates this guy, but the way it works is the police rush up and arrest the person who defended themselves and they rot in the legal process until a high enough bribe is paid to get them out.

If pepper spray is really the most effective protection, how can I determine the best choice to get for her? Is there a name brand which is better or more reliable? And would she put herself down while using it at close quarters? I have been gassed during protests at the Pentagon and Berkley and that was not even at close range, so I can imagine how it could backfire in a tussle.

The one thing this gal has going for her is she does not give up. Typical Filipinos are completely unnerved by a tiny female who refuses to be subdued and deferential. But a stalker is something else, and he might bring along some friends.