View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I have similar feelings when I watch Bill Maher. While he and I agree politically, his very public views on religion turn me off. It's not so much as his being positive about his atheism, it's a matter of his negativity about others religious views.

In some ways, it allows me to appreciate the dilemma of my friends on the right who might agree with guys like Santorum on taxes or foreign policy, and then watch him open his mouth on social and religious issues and feel like they've had a bucket of cold water thrown on them.

What I feel about religion and politics is that it is much better to say or express how good your side is than to denigrate the other side. I have seen 'hate walls' in some places with rows of anti-Obama, anti-liberal rhetoric. My belief is that someone obsessing so much about the opposition is simply an indicator of how weak their side is.

I have the same position when I do business with someone. If I'm asking about their services and all they can tell me is how crooked their competitors are, I will shop elsewhere.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote