View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I disregard anything labelled Political Correctness.

Mostly the term is used a broad slur applied to anything that the average white-van-driving-Joe-Bloggs in the street does not believe in. In any tabloid article about PC, you can guarantee the Tax Payers Alliance will be quoted (in English papers at least).

I've seen multi-culturalism in action - so-called political correctness had nothing to do with it.

Can you believe that these days your daughter's boss isn't allowed to slap her on the arse, suggest she works after hours and claim she's lucky? Or suggest that Tulip should wear pyjamas to work, like her parents did. Or that when Clod's son grows up he'll still be a complete spacker! Ha ha ha! It's PC gone mad!

A lot of what was labelled "PC" (and had nothing to do with politics, then and now) ten years ago now seems abhorrent to many people. And rightly so. We are not moving towards Orwell's narrowing of expression as in 1984, we are moving towards understanding and compassion. There will be blips along the way. Ridiculousness, dead ends, personal agendas.

But cases where "sensitivities" have gone too far (just to use common nomenclature) are few and far between once you actually look into them. In places where the worst apparent offences against common sense happen, there are usually extenuating circumstances. And the rest are simply mis-reported or seriously skewed. Which is why The Telegraph - aka The Torygraph - only rarely picks up stories from the Hate Mail; although they are not immune to band-wagon jumping.

Still - I'm anti-circumcision.
Male and especially female.

The former is unnecessary imho.
The latter is ridiculously cruel.
And no, I don't give a damn if it's a cultural tradition. I'd rather have whole tribes die from high cholesterol after being introduced to Big Mac & Fries than sanction pre-pubescent girls having their clitoris removed and their labia sewn together.

That's nothing to do with "political correctness" in my world. Because I am not a politician. Or anyone who has to appease a large section of society to earn my wages. Mercenary correctness might be a more appropriate word (as in ther dictionary definition, not the Dwellar)