View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #19
SPUCK
Professor

It always bugs me that Global Warming is all OUR fault. Why does no one seem to ever mention natures contributions?

We had Mount St Helens back in 1980. I mean just as an example; it felled all the trees in a 212 square mile area. Using 'volcanic gases' it hoisted 1.5 cubic miles of rocks, soil, and ash, 15 miles into the air! I mean think about the millions of tons of gases that were involved! (That's tons of gas!!) The lateral column of gas left at 1,100km/hr at 600F!! Then we had huge Pinatubo blow. Right now there are 98 active volcanoes erupting. Any one of them in a spasm can dump out more greenhouse gas in a day than man can generate in a year.

Image Credit: Armando Alvarez Sanchez, Cruz Roja Ecuatoriana.
Name:  r4.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  23.9 KB

As an example here's a quote about Mt. Ruapehu NZ: "The amount of sulfur dioxide released by the volcano is about 1000 tons per day, well down from the highs which have exceeded 10,000 tons per day."

Add to this things like fires. Two or three years ago they had fires burning in Asia or Indonesia that were insanely huge - thousands, and thousands, of square miles burned for months bringing life to a near standstill in the area.

Anyway, since I can easily believe volcanoes and such don't all agree to emit just so much each year, that we could have an "overdose" for several years that ultimately effects our planet's temperature in following years. But I never hear anything about that! Just, "We humans (and especially evile USA humans)", are causing global warming and "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

The sky may be falling and humanity may not be helping to prop it back up but I'm not even vaguely convinced that it's all our fault.

BTW: You might enjoy this link:
http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/...s/current.html
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote