View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
marichiko

Chinese, so they can follow after where all our jobs are going. Just kidding!

I'd say Spanish since Spanish seems to be becoming this country's second language, and just to be eccentric, I'll vote for Latin as a second choice. Why? Latin may be a "dead" language, but before it passed on, it became the mother of all tongues. Even English has many words derived from the Latin. Latin is the language of science, medicine, and the law, as well as theological scholars; not to mention classical ones. Its too bad so few of our high schools offer it anymore - just one more symptom of the decline of our educational system.

Latin aside, kids pick up foreign languages pretty fast. I was speaking German at age 5 when my Dad was stationed over there (alas, my folks didn't encourage me to keep it up, so I forgot most of it when we returned to the US 3 years later). If you can swing it, I'd say hire someone whose native tongue you want your children to learn to come be their nanny for a few hours a week. Tell her to speak in her language with your kids. You'll be amazed at how fast they pick it up.