View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 05:17 AM   #186
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks, Lola!
I knew you were having trouble logging on and that you always have problems with photos

So a little background FTR. Hope you don't mind.

I wrapped all the prizes in old copies of a magazine to save on money/ be environmentally responsible. British Dwellars have received gifts similarly wrapped for birthdays etc. I figured once you opened the main postage bag it would still be fun to unwrap things.

Your suggestions said you liked a number of things I knew would never get through Customs (nothing dirty, people!) but also gadgets, baking, anything fun and quirky, lip gloss, hand lotion.
I don't think I'm breaking confidence by saying that, because it's what I knew of you! You also said "Surprise me!" - probably as a last resort as I know you're not a greedy or materialistic Bunny.

So the little cat faces you see in the photo are lip salves. To their left are cat socks. I'm a cat lady. To their right is a Wallet Ninja. It was as close to anything tool-like I thought would get through.

On top of these is a Selection Pack - a traditional present for children you don't know very well at Christmas in the UK. Different types of choc. This is a small, cheap one (sorry, but it's true.) You can get REALLY big ones with lots of full sized different bars in. I figured a taster would be better.

Underneath are Christmas crackers - cardboard tubes containing novelties, hats, jokes. Two people take one end each and pull, and there is a "snap" inside. The crack in the cracker. Many people now believe that if you get the larger end, all the loot inside is yours. When I grew up, if it was the cracker by your place setting, it didn't matter who ended up with the larger end. These are traditional over the whole Christmas season.

On the cracker box is an owl that I simply fell in love with, and an LED butterfly. You switch it on and the light flashes different colours. I bought one for Mum. Bought her an owl too actually.

On the Cadbury's selection pack is some hand cream.
It looked nice.

Behind it are some stick on (edible) eyes.
Little eyes for fruit and veg and making things look funny. Made me laugh anyway.

There's also some gold ribbon with Lola's real name on it.
I had it printed as I expect she is the sort of person who decorates presents beautifully. If her cakes and cookies are anything to go by!

Then behind that is the staple Cellar cock. A blue ornament which may not have made it across the Atlantic in tact, but it's a fun throw-away thing.

And then a calendar. Of my "home" town (it's not home, I just live here.)

Guess what?
I bought these things over about four months, as I was buying things for Mum & Dad. I only added the personal items when I knew who I was buying for.
I had a ball.

I can't promise the same for my SS next year, although I'll try. I do love being just a little bit foreign on this website, and trying to give a something back.
This year I remembered how wonderful it was to get prizes from Ali, Jim & Jinx, Sarge etc.
And especially this year, after hospital, after I sent my SS package, gifts from Limey, my Secret Santa Clod, and the always marvs Carr.

So I hope you don't think I've been too self-promoting in saying what I bought.
It really is just that I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to share, and I know Lola may not have the ability to do so.
Would love your review on the chocolate though!

Last edited by Sundae; 01-16-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote