View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #389
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
Pretty strong words. "When a speculative philosopher believes he has comprehended the world once and for all in his system, he is deceiving himself, he has merely comprehended himself and then naively projected that view upon the world." C.G. Jung
I can't believe that statement about religion being so intoverted as to not advance itself. ...
However, the argument you presented is of shallow thought in my opinion.
The statement - that religion does not advance itself - is based on upon extensive reasoning AND is well based upon current examples. Concepts were posted earlier, in this and in following discussions. With many examples, religion is what happens when the status quo and dictatorial commandments only from learned people thousands of years ago have credibility. All good philosophies and science never stop advancing. Religion does just the opposite. Religion is based upon a concept that demands only prophets thousands of years ago had sufficient knowledge. Religion is ripe to be perverted by those whose 'charisma' becomes god's laws. Charisma as even Hitler used to blame the Jews. Charisma: propaganda to pervert those who don't use their brain and therefore blindly follow.
From Evolutionary Science-v- Creationism
Posted 22 Dec 2004 in the Philosophy section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
... Evolution is science, whether you choose to understand it or not. Creationism is religion, whatever pseudoscientific trappings they try to dress it in. Science has a place in science classes, and religion does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Not exactly. Religion was really nothing more than man's early attempt at science. Much later, principles (new tools) important to science - the need for both theory and experiemental confirmation - was added to the body called science. Science during the bible's time had no such tools. Today those who blindly believe the bible must then deny what a fact really is. ...
The bible was a good attempt at explaining many sciences that mankind needed to build a civilization. Much early science was based mostly on parables. But in all good sciences (including those that grew from Islam and Buddhism), mankind advances: learns more of god's laws everyday. Unfortunately, there are these ostriches who say, "Everything we need to know is in the bible". Reality does not work that way. People who worship a real god learn more of god's laws every day. That means the bible has been replaced repeatedly with better science books.
If you assume that posted paragraph was based upon shallow thinking, then you have well over "three thousand, five hundred and twenty eight words" of reading to do.

I stand by my premise with vigor. Concepts based upon too many examples in history, current events, and logical thinking. Current religions are just another version of pagan religions promoted by the Greeks and Romans - with all the same philosophies based in human wants and desires. Any god that has human traits is nothing more than a human's own self serving creation - much like an invisible friend or the Oracle of Delphi. Religion not based upon the realities of our universe and what a real and powerful god must be. Religion is a classic example of what is created when mankind stops advancing - when man stops innovating - when people blindly worship some flawed text books. When the prophets decree everything only from what they knew at that time.

It cannot be said strong enough because religious extremism is a threat to the advancement of mankind. Religious extremism is about worshipping your fears (an emotion) rather than thinking logically (an essential factor in mankind's advancement).

Posted here is the respect that religion deserves.

Last edited by tw; 07-15-2005 at 04:05 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote