View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I tried to do Naruto -- hey, I have a bit of an interest in the plot.

...but after I got past episode 19, which was wonderful, the whole thing went downhill. Nothing happened and some of the basic plot sequences took 5, 10, even 20 or more episodes to resolve. I couldn't stand that the first 5 minutes of most episodes was a recap, complete with recycled animation, of the one just before it. It just took too much time for so little in return.

Around episode 60, I started fast-forwarding past large chunks of staring contests, still frames, and frozen tense moments that were simply there to buffer the episode time with as little animation funding as possible. I finally gave up somewhere around episode 108 or so. That aside, the three episode sequence with the bridge is still one of my favorites of all time of any anime and because of it I'm sad that Cartoon Network imported it and dubbed it to destruction. It really is their kind of show, though -- an impossibly large number of episodes to buy, cheap, and very popular. They'll never purchase anything beyond episode 35 and will just loop that set, repeatedly, like they did for Inu Yasha.

Enjoying Phantom Memory Kurau at the moment, but little else is really drawing my attenton for some reason. I crave something like Cowboy Bebop (damn, I loved the music!), again, or anything that doesn't follow one of the basic anime patterns:
  • The hilarious adventures of a shy, socially inept boy trapped with lots of aggressive, attractive girls of various ages.
  • Young teen with hidden, magical powers must save the world/stop impending doom, but must hide their secret from all but one or two of their closest friends.
  • Student goes to cram school and amusing events happen because they have little money.
  • Giant robots/spaceships and thousands upon thousands of missiles.
  • Any mixing or slight variation of the above.

Among my favorites: FlCl, Haibane Renmei, Lain. Suggestions are welcome -- I miss anime!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote