Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #350
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When a person is involuntarily terminated from their job, they typically ask at least two questions if the answers haven't already been provided by the employer:

Why am I being terminated?

In some states this affects eligibility for unemployment compensation; because, you can't get it if the employer claims you were fired for misconduct. Termination for other reasons is essential to know when a prospective employer asks why you left your last job; so, they don't assume the worst.

What reason, if any, for my departure are you going to give prospective new employers when they contact you to verify my work history and departure standing?

Regardless of company policy, which may be to only verify your employment period, additional information about you may be passed on through off-the-record phone calls from prospective employers to your previous employer.

Not thinking to ask these questions at the time of termination is understandable since that can be a shocking experience causing distraction.

Not pursuing the answers after regaining focus is typically due to the person thinking they already know the likely answer and not wanting confirmation of it (they're in denial).

The thing is, there's always a chance that they're wrong and there's too much at stake to not find out for sure.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote