View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
The comp sci program at Willamette is pretty small, and I really don't think they teach SAS or R, so it looks like I'll have to teach myself those.
The number of statistical software analysis programs is massive. For example, another popular program is was Minitab. Even the NIST provides statistical analysis programs for free at www.nist.gov.

To appreciate the concept, read a 6 page article in Scientific American May 2009 by Katherine Pollard. It will not say much about programming (even though she apparently did most of it). But it does mention (in perspective) what is most important for someone with your interest. She used massive programming, eventually moved her programs to a supercomputer, to solve a simple statistical genetics search problem that apparently had significant importance to others.

People who do most of the programming (according to one I talked to from Wyeth) actually know very little about the science. These programmers are more like technicians with little science knowledge. They know how to pound the nails and where. But have little idea of what they are building or why it will stand. The architect also knows how to pound nails - but leaves such work to others.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote