View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #43
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
@ Bullitt: Aside from the fact that it was a few individuals in that organization who were screwing around, I'll agree with you there. However, I'm sure there is a Morman or two out there with some pretty questionable devices as well.

So, aside from the bad apples, you can't be on the fence on this one. I don't think you are, Bullitt, I was referring to the ACORN discussion prior to the election, where I might have had the impression that there was actual "line-drawing" on the part of c-man regarding the role of organized groups. IIRC, it was a no-no, then. No to recruiting voters for your cause. Unless you're part of a more radical group?

Waffles.
Oh without a doubt, there are manipulative people within any group who will go to extreme measures to get their way. I don't recall what exactly was said by everyone in the pre-election ACORN discussion, and I don't really feel like digging because i have ten
minutes till my next class

BUT, I am not on the fence on this issue in any way. I believe in individual and collective rights to express/advertise their opinions in whatever way they see fit so long as it does not break the law or infringe on the rights of others. What I have a problem with is people who seek to twist the balance of a democratic decision through direct action. Whether that be hacking voting machines or casting votes for the deceased. Whether it is a group or an individual who does this, the intention is the same to me and should be punished because it undermines the whole process: a collective decision made by the individual decisions of individual voters.