View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #28
Apollo
i need friends

Really, I think the main thing that's f*cked up with the U.S Constitution and other state constiutions is that they allow rights to be taken away from people.

I mean, think about it. At any moment, even though it's VERY unlikely, the House and the Senate could be overrun with racists and biggots and our consitution would allow them to take away rights from blacks, women, athiests, muslims, you name it.

As long as three forths of the the states approve, it's all good! We could adopt slavery again if we REALLY wanted to.

That's what happened in California with Prop 8. The courts said full out that it was wrong to deny gays the right to marry. And everybody went CRAZY and loved it, and gay people were thrilled and everybody wanted to get married.

But through the tyrnnay of the majority, people were able to shut out the courts opinion and take away the rights of a group of citizens.

I'm not saying that constitutions shouldn't be able to change. Of course they should be able to change. We'd be in major trouble if they couldn't change because our country is in a constant state change. Wow I said change like 400 times in that sentence.

But I think when it comes to individual rights, that don't affect anybody else's rights, I think once those rights are given, they should never be able to be taken away.

Yup.