View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Cruel Parents - Bad Names

I just had to call a sales person for an appliance I'm buying. She is a young white girl named Farah Khan.

I think her parents must be jerks for this. I got into an argument with someone awhile back because they named their son "Ocean White Dodson". I told them it was cruel and wrong to do that to him, and they have guaranteed that he will be picked on and get into a lot of fights and it may even effect his ability to get work later in life.

They acted like I was a big jerk for saying it. It's the truth. Kids are mean and they will pick on someone like that. Also, they are under the belief that someone's name is connected with their individualism. They accused me of being narrow-minded and suggested that having an "original" name makes the person more artistic or original.

As a father, I think it's my responsibility to make sure my children have an easier time of it than I did. I'm not saying we should all name our kids John Smith, just that we don't put our own warped sense of creativity or before the feelings of our kids. I live in L.A. where everyone thinks they're an actor and thinks spelling their name a strange way makes them cool. "Hi, my name is Cindy, but with it's spelled "Syndie" or "I'm Frank, spelled "Phrainque"

Personally speaking of I had two resumes in front of me, and one had the name "Steven Putnam" and the other had "Phrainque Johnson", the latter would have no chance at the job. I wouldn't look any further on his resume than the name. He could be the single most qualified and talented candidate, but he'd have a hard time finding work because his parents acted selfishly.

What do you think?