Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #308
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hi UT

The person in question is the sole owner, the guy who hired me. There were no people to hear, the office had been evacuated. Well, that's a little dramatic. I leave at 4 pm, at 3:53 I got a slack message to come see him "after I've buttoned up" everything. The office manager also leaves at 4 pm, she left a couple minutes early, not uncommon. The new guy whose schedule is until 5 pm *did* leave a little before 4 pm, undoubtedly at the request by the owner.

So it was just him and me, I came towards his office and he said, no, I'll just pull up a chair out here. Then boom goes the dynamite.

Thanks for your support, I do appreciate the sympathy. Big companies have endemic problems, small companies, like this six-person operation have their own idiosyncrasies too. *My* problem is that the balance of power, economic power I mean, not personal autonomy or agency, is never in my favor. I don't have anything "they" would be willing to negotiate to keep or avoid.

Luce--thanks man. I appreciate the sanity check. I pay attention too. When I took this job and one of the most exciting prospects was working with a team minus drama and politics. Which had been true, riiiight up to the last moment when it wasn't. So.

I'm gathering my required info for my unemployment application ---> over there and occasionally clicking back to this tab for the fellowship of my friends. There are some cool things out there I can do. Twil's told me of some that are listed in a Federal Hiring Event at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, which is just down the street from me. On the way to dinner I saw "Accepting Resumes" on the marquee of an insurance business. Something will turn up. I do have skills and it turns out my availability just opened wide.