View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #176
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

You can easily adopt the statement, while finding room to criticize Israel. But someone who wants to say that all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic (I remember long ago Radar made that exact claim) can also use that statement. It's a pretty vague statement; it doesn't say what the "certain perception" is or what, other than hatred, it may be expressed as.

The first accompanying example says that manifestations (ie, rhetorical manifestations from the definition sentence) might target the state of Israel.

It does provide a caveat, that "criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic", so the issue is in how you parse that. Is it a problem to criticize Israel for doing something unless you first find another country doing the same thing and criticize them simultaneously?

I would say no, and have no problem with providing an asterisk to make that clear, especially if you anticipate that a significant number of people would say yes.

However, I am basing that solely on the words in the definition and examples. I have no exposure to Corbyn and make no claims on what his motivations are, though I'll tend to trust DanaC over tw on the issue.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote