View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #135
Redux

UG...if I recall, it was the Republicans who controlled the House for 12 years from 95 through 06 and did absolutely nothing in the way of proposing tougher ethics rules for members.

And instead, created the greatest revolving door between Congress and lobbyists in recent history -- the K Street Project.
The K Street Project is an effort by the Republican Party (GOP) to pressure Washington lobbying firms to hire Republicans in top positions, and to reward loyal GOP lobbyists with access to influential officials. It was launched in 1995 by Republican strategist Grover Norquist and then-House majority whip Tom DeLay.

Shortly after the 1994 elections which gave a majority of seats to Republican candidates, DeLay called prominent Washington lobbyists into his office. He had pulled the public records of political contributions that they made to Democrats and Republicans. According to Texans for Public Justice, "he reminded them that Republicans were in charge and their political giving had better reflect that—or else. The "or else" was a threat to cut off access to the Republican House leadership."
And, now, want to change the rules in the middle of the game because it provides great political theater. That, IMO, is the double standard in play.

I would like to see stronger ethics rules; I have said that repeatedly. The Democrats took a first crack at it in 07 when they took control, but it doesnt go far enough.

But until such time, you play by the current rules.

Last edited by Redux; 10-09-2009 at 06:03 PM.