View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry Els, I missed your question.
As I'm sure you know by now I lost my job in London. Came back here because I was knocked off my feet by the news and terrified of getting into debt and a new spiral of despair if I couldn't find a job to pay my rent. I've been allowed a wonderful breathing space by my parents and am ready to face the challenges of the new year now.

Okay.

I don't know if you have carveries in the States. I would assume you do, so I won't explain. If you don't, please ask and I'll enlighten you.

They are rare here now, having reached their eminence in the '80s and '90s.
But they work.
We went to an estate pub (a pub on a council estate aka the projects) at a time when smoking in pubs is banned, tax on alcohol is high, just after Christmas/ New Year and people are uncertain in their jobs.

The place was packed.
And with a mixture of people, but I would say the majority were families. Some older children treating parents (some "children" the age of my parents!) some parents younger than me. Most had the air of a regular treat.

It was good value for the food - £7.95. The surroundings were clean and comfortable. It's not an attractive venue from the outside, but we (and by the carpark, everyone else) could walk there. It's a convenient place with decent food.

First pic the Carvery table
Second pic my meal.
I had venison.

Clockwise from top on my plate: stuffing balls, peas and sweetcorn, mashed potato, yorkshire pudding, venison, roast potatoes. The yorkshire was pre-cooked and probably frozen, it's not a classic of its kind. But the roast potatoes were divine. I was light on the veg as I had a fruit shake for breakfast - also I didn't fancy the other veg on offer (I hate brussels and the beans were boiled to buggery).
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 01-04-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote