View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 AM   #55
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

A commentary by Wendy Doniger, Professor of the History of Religions, University of Chicago’s Divinity School at The Great Pumpkin Goes to Washington
Quote:
I don’t care a fig about our next president’s personal religious views. The candidate can worship the Great Pumpkin, for all I care, as long as he or she doesn’t assume that the rest of us do too, and that the Great Pumpkin told him to do things such as, to take a case at random, invade Iraq.
Is it a sin? I don't care and have no opinion because it is his sin; not mine. However when he uses his definition of sin to attack or manipulate me - that is civil war (or a trip to the courts).

Why does a discussion that started on religion then move to politics? Is life sacred? That only applies to you and your god - no one else. Is it legal to kill? That is a question asked and answered completely devoid of religion.

Religion is a relationship between you and your god. Even your church is nothing more than a consultant. Your church can advise. But only you own your religion. And that religion is never imposed on another. Even the Great Pumpkin did not condemn Charlie Brown's friends for not believing.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote