View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Transgender young people detransitioning

Interesting report on Sky News.

Complex issue, but full on transitioning as a youngster always struck me as a potential risk, no matter how sure the child is. It is worrying that some therapists aren't making links between multiple psychological issues (like the kid with both anorexia and gender dysphoria). It may well be that there are young people for whom such a drastic step is the best way forward, but there are a lot of things to consider and rule out first.

I don't know nearly enough about the science to know whether trans-identities are a sign of a biological mismatch of sex and gender, or a sign of dysfunction, or both are possible individual to individual.

Unfortunately it is a topic that is so fraught and politicized that kids who find themselves regretting their decision are made to feel like traitors to the cause - meanwhile both sides of the political extreme are ready to jump on any discussion.

I dunno, I haven't lived it. But it seems an awfully drastic medical intervention at an age when the basics of identity are still forming.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote