View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #26
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Who the fuck came up with Provincial and Urban, they are not accurate descriptions. That's nothing but social blackmail, anyway.
Me? I was just naming them to not assume they are directly equivalent to what sexobon meant by 1st world vs 2nd world when asking her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's complete bullshit, definitely the language of blackmailers, schoolmarms, and con (wo)men of all ages.
Hmm... You know I am a guy right? Blackmailer? Ok... But schoolmarm and conwoman? Anyway..

Both dynamic utilize a form of coercion - in one people use themselves as "the prize" and rejection/cutting-off as "the punishment", in the other people use judgement gossip & reputation as reward & punishment, and both are means to pressure people into behaviors people want. Neither is particularly pure or with a moral high ground.

But yes - the one that forces people to adapt to people they'd otherwise rather not engage does generally lead people to challenge themselves and try to resolve conflicts or put it behind them when otherwise they'd just keep to themselves. You see that in anyone who's being in the military, it forces people to learn to look beyond their self centered bubbles (By virtue of being in larger bubbles that are still... bubbles).
it is offline   Reply With Quote