View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #777
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
This all makes sense, the way you've described it. Doesn't sound so bad...on the surface.

But, something is bothering me, I can't help but notice. Isn't this a list full of crippling compromises? A tale of avoiding hard work and tough decisions, following the path of least resistance, and practicing intellectual weakness as a way of life?

The typical 20 year-old never learned moderation--instead they extinguished their entire value system--throwing out the baby with the bathwater. And instead of developing a workable system preserving their fundamental beliefs, they just bought into the received wisdom of a quick-fix society. The 40 year-old self was too busy to bother wrestling with difficult questions and decisions. The inertia of an object at rest was too overpowering--the complacency of a leisurely lifestyle was too tempting. Shouldn't the 60 year-old, with the wisdom of old age, be ashamed that they helped perpetuate a senseless institution of followers following followers? But, instead of slowly sliding the barrel of a gun into their mouth, they moronically chuckle to themselves and their total lack of human achievement. This story actually makes me sick to my stomach.

I guess you could say I have strong feelings about this.
Yup. Me too. Unless, she was referring to this with the 'he'll get his in the end' .

As an atheist, I dont ever see myself sucking it in and pretending to believe just to be part of the group. Yes I keep my mouth shut when in the company of believers....but thats just to keep the peace. And for one, I dont think they are ready for my world view. If they arent inquisitve enough to question their religion and the history of religion, then theres no point in me discussing it with them anyway.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote