View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #65
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
I didn't see anything in that article that says that they've been able to reproduce the conditions that caused the accident.
It wasn't in the article I just linked to, but there was a test shortly after the accident that recreated the conditions and the result was identical to the crash, except they didn't actually smash the trains together.

Article about it here. Three months ago.

Quote:
Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board performed the simulation Wednesday night. In the test, investigators positioned a train in the same location as the train that was rear-ended Monday. The system failed to detect that the idled test train was there
I know it's not easy to figure out, and they are only human, but it's been 3 months. They have had the track closed to train traffic for that entire time, available for study. It's just sitting there. They have to single track around the site and it's causing serious delays for the poor saps on the Red line.

The sensor manufacturer is Alstom Signaling, and it's some sort of problem with their sensors. Or a problem with how their sensors are installed into the system.

Shawnee is right with her o-ring joke. We need Richard Feynman to stick one of these sensors into a glass of ice water and figure it out.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote