View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #80
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have recently become a little addicted to the youtuber, Blaire White. Given how well known she is this one might not be new to others :P

Her politics are to the right on a lot of stuff (she is a republican) but not so far to the right that I can't see her point, even if I disagree with it.

On other issues she expresses views I agree with - like her take on a lot of the current LGBT and 'SJW' activist scene. As a trans woman herself, on the right politically, she brings some interesting balance.

She's very entertaining and has opened my eyes to a bunch of stuff that hadn't really crossed my radar particularly around the trans rights movement and LGBT community and some of the more extreme nonsense coming out of the current radical feminist scene

I don't think this stuff has hit the UK with quite as much force as in the US but it is a growing issue nonetheless.

I'm not going to shit on 'the Left' because there is still a core that is traditional left, with people fighting against actual inequality and promoting genuine inclusivity. And, there was always a strand of the left that was bat shit crazy - and there was always a strand of well-meaning middle-class academics and students 'fighting for the oppressed' and signing up to marxist parties because they were intellectually supportive of the working classes, without any real affinity for working-class culture.

But the current generation of activists have a strand that makes the bat shit crazy of my youth look sane.

It isn't enough any more to recognise oppression or systemic inequality and work towards change - now we are inventing oppression, often eclipsing the real inequalities and issues, and movements, or responses to real problems get hijacked by this destructive wing of ... I say left but a lot of this isn't really 'left', it sits outside the left/right political dialectic, often running directly counter to what has been understood as left wing in the past and also counter to what has been understood as right wing.

From what I have read and watched, some of this may have been a conscious effort by disillusioned marxists to transpose the core dialectic from a class analysis that incorporates race and gender to a classless self-identity and intersectionality based analysis, effectively obliterating the main ideas that actually united the left at some level (and still does for the mainstream, non-Youtube and campus based left)

Anyways - I'm rambling.

Some of Blair's videos.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote