Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #98
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
One of the really dangerous aspects of the whole fake news thing is that ..I think ... it plays to the subconscious.
Which I believe those Facebook editors were observing. Having been told same lies enough times, then they started to believe them even though knowing each was not true.

Or another aspect applies. An ability to see through fake news requires one to always look beyond the statement - to always also demand the underlying what, whys, and perspectives. This was discussed in another thread. A fundamental difference exists between officer material and enlistedman. An enlistedman typically sees only what he is told. An officer must take known facts to 'solve the equation'; construct (grasp) a bigger picture. One who does not (cannot) do that is then easily manipulated by lies.

Even simpler rules apply. If a conclusion is not tempered by perspective (ie numbers), then an honest person has no business believing it. From what I have seen here and elsewhere (ie Democratic Convention, Cloud's experience with a Idle Air Control Valve, etc), plenty (maybe a majority) do not know how to do that.

Cloud's mechanic had a P1519 error code that means only a computer, wire, or valve is defective. So the mechanic kept replacing a part least likely to fail .... three times for $1200. Finally another mechanic replaced the $200 part that a long list of reasons (posted there) defined as clearly defective.

Why could he not see the obvious? He was not officer material. He could only keep doing what a check list ordered him to do.

Is that due to his (entrenched) subconscious? Or is that just a lack of basic thought training (obtained mostly from experience)?

Never let emotions appear anywhere in a decision. Always grasp the bigger picture. And know honest answers always require numbers. My experience is that many never learn any of these basic concepts. Therefore cannot see an obviously defective IACV valve, did not do (learn) what is necessary to be officer material, and automatically believed only what was told.

And so the question. Are we discussing a subconscious bias to not want to see underlying facts? Or is a subconscious 'screw the world; I am going to solve this' attitude necessary to make possible seeing through myths, lies, misinformation, and the not always obvious? Only the latter is officer material. Is that grounded in the subconscious?

A subconscious exampled by Facebook editors is different from the subconscious that makes possible or that obstructs discovery of a defective IAC valve. Which subconscious applies?

I am just not sure which subconscious applies? In part, because even at the age of 12, I was using these obvious thinking techniques to fix vacuum tube TVs. It was easy except when confronted by retail salesman who could not believe one so small or colored wrong could do this stuff. Solving problems is easy. It amazes me how many cannot (or fear to) do it. Getting the emotional to finally learn or cooperate - that other subconscious is not easily solved.

So I guess we now have three different subconsciouses. And crowd dynamics could apply in each case. Which applies? Oh for a clinical psychologist.

Bottom line: some people just cannot think through a problem. Why? Some people do not learn how.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote