View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #89
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yes. Politics Makes You Stupid; author of piece is a keen example; Trump wins 2020.
Spoken like a true privileged individual. I didn't think of it first, I just stole it first in this thread:
Quote:
Equality Feels Like Oppression When You're Used to Privilege
I'd prefer to believe you *got* the point of the article and are just cherry picking your quotes to reinforce your confirmation bias. Otherwise I'd have to conclude that your narrow quote is a reflection of you not getting the thrust of the article, that tolerance and diversity for their own sake, for a mathematical balance of opposing points of view are not that important.

The context of the quote you excerpted was that there's a very, very, very long history of IMbalance in many areas of our society and when puckishly asked about when we'd be "even" or "enough" the follow up was your quoted. Do you think a woman and a man have equal ability to judge, to lead, to protect and defend the Constitution? If so, then how is it that we've had 45 male presidents in a row? Can't be luck, really, or coincidence. It's sexism and to say anything otherwise is just wrong. The author's larger point is that our society has a very long history of inequality to "metabolize".

The quality of an idea should be a measure of its value. Discuss it, debate it, challenge it, test it. Measure it. And by many measures, the inequality in our society is yuge. I pointed out that the two articles were similar because they both pointed out that being tolerant and open minded doesn't mean I can feel the breeze blowing through my ears. From the article: "Not all ideas are equal". They're not. And a lot of the ideas I hear coming from the conservative right are crap. I'm not obliged to give them equal credence, since the facts don't support that position.

xoB's article suggested that a progressive might want to stop tilting at windmills trying to persuade their political opponents with facts, and the article I linked to suggests that tolerance is not giving all ideas equal time and that we in America have a long way to go, still, before the truths held to be self evident, the equality of all men, endowed by our Creator in our Declaration of Independence are realistically, measurable, available to all.