View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #45
Moxidus
Kinda New Member

I apologize for bumping...just several questions...

I'm starting a project for my kids, wanted to make some bunk beds.
I've already harvested more than enough and I'm in the process of drying the bamboo. Still though, I figure in the meantime I could get some engineering work done on them.

I've found some online that in general are very similar to what I'm aiming for.

I have a lot of woodworking/general shop experience, but very limited bamboo experience aside from a few small tables/lamps/bunk beads like all these types [link removed], etc. Nothing that I had to trust to be load/play bearing!

Couple questions though.
As for the joints, I'm assuming bore them out with a hole saw and then use a barrel sander or something to get them dead on?

Are these joints just glued together? I'm not apposed to doing it that way, but it would be nice when it's all said and done if I could disassemble it for storage/moving in the future.

If I wanted to make it in a few pieces, and glue those together, what is my best bet to make joints that I can easily take apart? I was thinking about running a bolt or dowel through the entire joint, bolts would be ugly, and dowels would be too enticing for kids to mess with. Anyone have any suggestions for strong, aesthetically pleasing and detachable joints?

Also, would appreciate any tips/advice/pointers anyone wants to throw my way, aside from knowing I should probably let it dry thoroughly before I get cracking so my joints stay the dimensions I bore them out at I'm pretty lost.

I know I'll figure it out, but not too proud to ask for help beforehand. Would rather learn from pros than my own mistakes when I can.
Moxidus is offline   Reply With Quote