View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #47
lawman
unerringly questioning

a friend of mine is a bee keeper, I sent the link and asked her opinion and this is what I received:

"I would guess this picture may have had approximately 15000 to 20000 honeybees (one large hive in the summertime will have approximately 70000 bees - I currently only have two hives). If this picture was taken on Vancouver Island.... I may have put on a veil and dropped them into a bee box. I often don't even use gloves or a veil with my own bees, bare hands work best. Our local honeybees are so docile that you can put your hand right into the middle of their hive without them stinging you. That being said I have been stung a few times, mostly by hurrying and being careless - such as squishing one by accident. It is a weird sensation with them crawling on your hands and fanning (flapping their wings really fast). It is probably many people's first reaction to kill them - and if it had been wasps or hornets I may have considered to do the same (I prefer fire and water - I won't touch pesticides or herbicides). If this picture was taken in Africa where bees are a bit more aggressive I would have probably used full gear to try to hive them. A hive like that may have fetched that guy about $100.00 and that would be calling in a beekeeper to come and get them - probably would have bought him some really nice meat for that BBQ. Honestly, I have yet to hive a swarm like that - I would love the opportunity to try. Not to mention - that guy missed out on some amazing honey....."

and I would NEVER eat anything cooked on that BBQ after this event!
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote