View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
Living in California for 70 years and travelling to the British Isles makes for a strange awareness.
In England, I have stayed in buildings that predate the arrival of Europeans in California.

If built in the San Fernando Valley, Salisbury Cathedral would have been rubble hundreds of years ago.

The ceiling photo makes me shudder.
If there were a moderate California-size earthquake, those attending services there or just looking around had better hope God is on duty.
Name:  Vine Tree House.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  146.4 KB

I walked past this old house a few hours ago. The front elevation dates from the early 18th Century, but the timber frame flank wall dates from the 16th or 17th Century. Look how the front wall is secured to the flank with iron straps.
The brickwork joining the two walls seems less than perfect (understatement), the lintels have sunk and I'd be prepared to wager a small sum that the foundations are poor or even non-existent.
However, it's lasted over four centuries and I suspect it'll be around for quite a bit longer.
On the whole though, it's probably just as well it isn't on the San Andreas Fault.

Street View.