View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

I've been a member for like three minutes, but I've read the entire IotD archive and followed the current postings for several years now. That dude who chained himself to a forestry service building like 15 years ago so the front doors were inaccessible? Yeah, that building is about half a mile north of me and I've actually had reason to be in it. I'll have to go back in the archives and find some of the stuff I thought about commenting on but didn't think my input was important enough to join up--I have serious anxiety challenges, and other people are a big trigger in several ways, so I'm not always much of a community person. I do LOVE the senses of humor I see around this thread. And if anyone cares, I saved off the entire 8K+ posts in the now-deleted old archives from the dog thread that had Dogs In Elk, because like the old Geocities-hosted webcomic Buster Wilde, it was too spectacularly funny to let slip away totally.

I only see 2 really serious issues with re-starting the for-consumption slaughter of horses in the US. First, it seems likely that some of the more..."tetchy"...animal rights groups will do stupid things like trying to burn down slaughterhouses. Second, and should be more important to anyone actively supporting (or even apathetically ignoring) the whole eating-of-modern-horses notion, is medications. One of the most common anti-inflammatories given to horses, referred to as "Bute", is highly dangerous to humans--my mom accidentally got some in her mouth while medicating her horse and it made her really ill. PCP? Ketamine? Both are horse tranquilizers. Bon appetit, and sweet (freaking WEIRD at best) dreams if your dinner had tranquilizers in its system!

European horsemeat is from horses raised to be food; they use fast-growing small drafts and draft mixes raised in secret locations (some with armed guards) and do not generally work with them at all until roundup time at just about 2 years old. Safely edible US horsemeat would probably have to come from our old favorite habit of culling mustangs (whereupon the aforementioned animal rights groups will go truly, spectacularly crazy).

For extra amusement in my personal case, while I now live on the eastern slope of the Rockies in southwestern Montana, I still tell stories of a job I had many years ago that was 12 blocks uphill from Pike Place Market.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote