View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Signing statments have not been tested by the courts. (I am not a lawyer) In terms of contracts, if you write something out and attach it to a contract, it does not become part of the contract unless the other party initials it or signs it.

In terms of Bills, a signing statement is nothing more that the President clarifying what he thinks he has agreed to. If his signing statement significantly differs from the bill he has signed, it probably has no more value than a presidential directive, which cannot override a law. This is because the Constitution specifically involves Congress and the President in passing laws.

I know that Alito pushed for signing statements, but I expect that the Supreme Court will uphold the two branch process and not give the signing statements any real weight if it ever reaches them.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote