View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Seems like it was written by someone who has never felt suicidal. The main problem is that when you are feeling depressed is that it isn't a feeling, it's reality and truth. (Obviously that's how it seems, not an objective truth) The truly awful thing about depression is that your reality is truly colored by it, everything you see, feel, and think affirms that reality.

While well meaning, the bullet points don't do much for me and I'm only mildly depressed right now and far from suicidal.

Point 3 contradicts itself. If you need to be alive in order to feel pain then logically if you were dead you'd feel no pain. To feel relief (or pain) you need to be alive, yes, but to not feel pain you do not have to be alive.

While well intentioned, advice is not what depressed (and I presume suicidal) people want. They want the awful feelings to stop. Short of that a person could affirm the pain the depressed person is feeling, absolutely not try to talk them out of it or explain it away. That may work with someone who's having a bad acid trip.

Maybe the best thing you could do is ask them to please wait a day or a minute longer or another minute.

You have to acknowledge their pain, not tell them they have so much to live for and so on when living = pain.

Acknowledge their pain and offer hope of not only relief but joy. Certainly don't try to reason with them.