View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #63
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

When you read about someone in the newspaper it is a different thing than interacting with them on the internet. A deviant may feel that he or she has a real relationship (however filled with animosity) with the girl due to their interactions here, and thus may feel inclined to go further than he or she would have having just read her name in the newspaper.

Regarding stating opinion as fact, I feel it is a great waste of time to preface everything with "In my opinion." Clearly, I am writing it, thus it is my opinion. When in a discussion of morals or other non-concrete ideas, I generally take what everyone says as their opinion. This is a conversation, not a game of Jeopardy. I will continue to post my opinions without the opinion disclaimer, especially in cases like this. There is no question in my mind that posting that information is wrong. You can feel free to disagree with that, it will just confirm that we don't share the same moral standards, and what I know is true for me may not be true for you, but that does not mean that I will back down from it.

If you want to blather on about semantics, feel free. Post each sentence of this post and dissect it. I'm not going to cow down and change the way I express myself because you can't bother to discern the difference between me saying:

"It is wrong to post information about a child on the internet" (my personal morals)

and

"The first president of the United States was Johnny Rotten" (a blatant misrepresentation of fact)
HaywardNelson is offline   Reply With Quote