View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Damn it! I looked for one of those for *years*! @#$!~%&!!*@# !!

Back in the days before the Internet, all you could do was cruise the damn stores, and no one *ever* had it here in the Midwest. I was so pissed. I wanted that watch desperately.!
It took a LOT of looking. Finally found it at a now-defunct discount chain called BEST. You had to order your stuff at the counter and it would come down the conveyor to you. Not a cool merry-go-round or ferris wheel conveyor like Brookstone, but a regular industrial one.

I really miss BEST. I got a lot of totally great stuff there. I get nostaligic every time I go to the Montgomeryville Borders.

Quote:
Anyway, I can also throw in a vote of confidence for Casios. I've had several, and lost them all before they ever broke.
The plastic wristbands tend to be the biggest problem. I would typically go through three or more per watch, which over the course of the life of each watch really wasn't all that bad when you think about it.

My newest Casio has a nylon fabric wristband that holds up quite well.

My current watch is actually a Timex. Yes, I am appropriately ashamed by this. It's a Timex Expedition clip watch that I hang from my belt loop. It's a lot easier to lend to coworkers who need to take vital signs than a wristwatch. I also have a very cool Remington Pocket Watch that an Avon Lady friend gave me. It has a graphic of a Pheasant in flight on the case and face, but the hands are pretty thin and it's harder to read than I like.

I also have an Avon novelty watch of the First Moon Landing Life Magazine Cover, but I don't often wear it because I really need a backlight.

Oh, and I still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote