Thread: 'F' the FCC
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know... I don't believe by any means that it's the FCC's job to decide what I watch. As is the warcry of many enraged by this, if you don't like it, change the damn channel. But for an alternate perspective on the matter:

There's a radio morning show in my city that makes it worth driving a longer commute to work. These guys just make my morning, every day. I often sit in my car in the parking garage as long as I can before I have to go inside to work. They're borderline "shock jocks," I suppose, but for the most part it's just incredibly clever humor; the three men play off each other very quickly. Most days they have a comedian in the studio as a guest, someone performing in town that night.

Every 2-3 weeks or so, they'd have local strippers as guests instead, or a woman peddling 800 different kinds of dildos, or something. Since the crackdown, those guests are no more, among other cutbacks (and the DJs are very vocal and angry about it.)

But you know what? The show is still freakin' hilarious. They talk in code to a certain degree--there's a annual "holiday" they made up called "Steak and BJ Night," their version of Valentine's Day for men, that they now have to call "Steak and KLBJ (the station's call letters) Night"--and in my opinion nothing has been lost from the quality of the show.

And here's the key... now I can listen to it with the kids in the car. They have no idea that "Steak and KLBJ" means anything, but there was no way I could have listened to it with them before. That's an extra 20 minutes at least every morning that I get to listen to the show. So in this small instance, I appreciate the fact that the show has cleaned up ever-so-slightly. I don't think they should have been forced to do it, but I have to admit I appreciate it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote