Thread: 'F' the FCC
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
You do not have the right not to be offended. You have the ability.

i agree, but from the things I've heard recently about the censorhsip of music videos, radio and tv programming, books in schools, and the way some of the media is reporting on all of this, as though 'all' americans are fed up with risque content in their entertainment, is mind blowing.

Howard stern played an interview by matt lauer this morning, and it came from the direction that people want uplifting content in their entertainment, and not sex, foul language, or violence. The interview quoted a mike medved??, and he stated the above position as though it were a fact. It makes me ill, i tell you. I know that people wouldnt tune in to these programs if what he says is true. The ratings belie the "trend" he identifies. The thing is that joe schmo might take this as the truth because of the way the information is presented.

I hear " studies say that X may be good for your Y" on the news all the time. what they do not tell you is who the fuck did the study, how long of a study it was, or who PAID for the study to be done. Then they slip that "may" in there to absolve themselves of any future guilt for missinforming the public. It's worse than car adverts.

THIS is the kind of thing I need the FCC to protect me from, not Howard fucking Stern saying "asshole" on the radio. I'm smart enough to change the radio station if I'm offended. BUT, I have no way of knowing whether the "study" that a news story is released about is legit, or unbaised. Our news media too often takes press releases and, in order to be the "first" to break the story, releases the information contained therein, largely unchecked, for our consumption. They don;t seem to care what company owns the company that paid for the study and made the press release.

I'd wait 3 or 4 days for news that i thought was carefully checked for accuracy, was unbaised and carefully presented in a fact only format. I don;t give a shit what Mike Medved thinks. or Matt Lauer. fuck em!

give me the fact, sans spin.

and don't touch my feet!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote