View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #37
tombstone
Disorderly Orderly

I wonder...?

When I was about 12 years old, around 1954 or so, I was in 4-H exhibiting poultry at the Palm Beach County Fair in Florida. A 4-H friend Barbara and I wandered around taking in all the exhibits. One of them was a young lady in an iron lung. We spent a great deal of time talking to her, and kept coming back to her. She was very friendly, very interesting, and seemed quite light-hearted and welcoming to two curious little girls.

I have never forgotten that young woman, lying entombed in that large whooshing machine, telling us no it didn't hurt, that she was quite comfortable and very much enjoying being there at the fair and meeting people, and talking to us. We felt encouraged to keep coming back and back. What pests we might have seemed! But we weren't. She made it very clear that she was really enjoying our questions and company. And truly, I think we understood even then that we were the lucky ones to be meeting her! What a gracious young woman! How fortunate for us to make her acquaintance!

I don't suppose it could have been the same person, though the age would have been about right. I have got to get her book. Thanks for the posting--it brings back good memories!
tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote