Thread: Printer Schemes
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 01:46 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My Canon ip4500 finally quit, wouldn't light up or stir at all. I checked the cord and the main switch but they were cool.
No obvious damage to the circuit boards. Now I've got maybe 30 of the PGI-5 and CLI-8 ink cartridges so I'll buy another one of the same.
Silly me, they're long gone but I figured I could buy son-of-printer or grandson. Nope, great grandson did LSD and great great great grandson is totally weird, wants nothing to do with my cartridges.

I do a search on the net and ebay has two, a NOS and a used, both priced around $500.
But I also saw power supplies, all used but working(would they lie to me, their oldest and dearest friend), the three were in China, Czechoslovakia, and Canada.
I picked Canada being a North American chauvinist pig. It took 2 weeks and didn't work. I went back to ebay and only the NOS was left and the price was $1000.
Nope, no way, bye bye.

So I start reading reviews and getting more confused, bothered, and bewildered. Laser doesn't have the color quality for photos, got to be inkjet.
I ended up with a Canon TS9120, cheap and very good reviews. Has a scanner, but I already have a big flatbed. I make my own greeting card and the old scanner I could do 10 at a time standing up in the rear slot on top. This one I can only print one at a time. It's wireless capable, I use a wire. It does print labels, not for but on CDs. Of course right after I bought it they discontinued that model and cut the price in half but I've learned to expect that.

What I was not expecting was this pop-up...

Name:  ink.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  41.0 KB

It started when the magenta was at about the level the yellow is now.
The old one just said ink is low and I'd have to lift the lid to see which light was flashing then walk waaaaayyyyy into the front bedroom, I swear it's 20 ft if it's an inch, plus all the way back, uphill both ways, to replace it.
I'm going to have to look into killing this "feature".