View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #195
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Helping Someone With Mental Illness by Rosalyn Carter.

Yes, the former First Lady.

I have an autographed copy.

OK, I'll admit it, it was unintentional. You know those massive remaindered book sales ... the ones where hardbacks are $3 and paperbacks are $1?

That's how I got mine, several years ago. It just percolated up to the top of the book pile.

I didn't even know that there was an autograph in it, until I started reading it earlier this week.

It's actually a pretty good guide to dealing with a mental illness, whether you're a family member or friend, professional, or the mentally ill person. Goes over diagnoses, medications, treatment, support groups ... pretty much the whole gamut, includes appropriate inspirational stories, but also makes the realities and difficulties faced by the chronically mentally ill quite clear.
Would that be of any help in dealing with alzheimer's? My 65 year old uncle out in CA lives by himself and has a pretty significant case of it. We, usually my mom who's an RN, try to go out there at least once every month or so to help him out, but we normally have to resort to dealing with issues over the phone.. which can be quite stressful for both parties.

Last edited by Bullitt; 08-12-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote