Thread: marriage
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #52
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Mostly, though, it's recognized that contracts between or among those capable of consent lead to stable transactions and therefore can contribute to relatively stable economies.

Yes, contracts can be heavily monitored but this is not the baseline.

And most contracts between individuals occur with minimal government involvement (except in the case of dispute).

I suggest that a neat way to bypass all the piecemeal, patchwork, struggle to secure marriage rights for gays is to simply move the impetus into contract law wherein A and B (and C and D, if we're talkin' about polygamy) can bestow by way of contract most of the rights and responsibilities that can now be found in government sponsored marriage.

Still not seein' why this suggestion is unworkable or so offensive to so many.

I can only conclude that the endeavor to secure government sponsored and licensed marriage for gays folks has less to do 'rights' and more to do with 'forcing approval'.

I work hard to minimize the involvement of folks in my business while, at the same time, a whole whack of others work just as hard to maximize involvement of other folks in their business.

*shrug*

If that’s what (other, you) folks want: most assuredly their/your wish will be granted.

‘nuff said.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote